Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Apple cake


The other day I made an apple cake.  
I used to make this cake on Halloween when the kids were little.
They'd eat cake while we checked out the candy in their bags to make sure it was safe.  

I was a little late this year.

The recipe comes from a House of White Birches booklet from 1991.
Title is Cooking with Apples.

I've tried several of the recipes but the one I'm giving you now uses the most apple and that is important when you have lots of apples that aren't at their best and need to be used not thrown away.

It is called Cinnamon Apple Cake and the person who sent the recipe in to White Birches is Sheryle Rolfe of Neb.

It is a very moist cake and gets more moist the longer it sits.

Cinnamon Apple Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt 
2 eggs
1 cup oil
1 t. vanilla
4 cups chopped apples
1/2 cup nuts (optional)  I use pecans Sheryle calls for walnuts.

Mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, soda and salt.
Beat eggs and oil until light and foamy.  Add Vanilla.
Gradually blend in dry ingredients.(I do this by hand)
  The batter will be extremely thick.
Stir in apples and nuts.
Pour batter into greased 13x9 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees
for 1 hour or until done.  Cool in pan.

This cake has never taken an hour to cook in my oven.
more like 35 minutes, so check it with a toothpick at about 30 minutes and every few there after until done to your liking.

I usually use a bit more than 4 cups.
I have a 6 cup pitcher and I peel and core the apples and chop them into pieces(not slices)
into the pitcher until it hits about 4 1/2 or so.

Enjoy!

Viki

1 comment:

Quilting Memories said...

YUMMY!!! That looks DELICIOUS!! I cant wait to go buy some apples now!! :)